Super Bowl Commercials

Last night, I had to catch up on a few priority items. First up, Super Bowl commercials. That's right--I didn't watch the actual game. Call me unAmerican, but after years of growing up with the TV commandeered every Saturday and Sunday by my dad and brothers, I hate the sound of sports coming through the television. My sister and I were made to postpone our chores while games were on: couldn't vacuum--the males wouldn't be able to hear the game; couldn't leave--we weren't done with our chores.

In any case, if commercials could be anthologized like short stories, the Super Bowl would hold the cream of the crop. I still love that Willie Nelson/H&R Block commercial from a few years ago.

When I was younger, this sprightly guy on TV had an exercise show. He was so funny and energetic, I wished he could be my uncle. You know who I'm talking about--the always effervescent Mr. Richard Simmons! Bridgestone's "Headlights" commercial featuring Richard Simmons is my pick for Best SB commercial 2008. It's so funny how we come upon him already doing his jumping jacks. The driver, instead of braking as he did for the deer and Alice Cooper, speeds up for Richard; the car's headlights affect a fierce mad face as the car guns down toward Richard. Even after the car squeals away, Richard is still cheering us on with his mantra: I believe in you!

I give Bridgestone's "Squirrel" and Budweiser's "Rocky" second and third place.

Good thing the commercial writers got their work done before the strike; the best part of the Super Bowl wouldn't have happened this year!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree! Although, I am a football fanatic. And, the team I was pulling for, did win. YAY! "Go Big Blue"!!!! I will say that I do LOVE the commercials! My fav was the one with the bobble heads. Maybe because it was inspired from those ongoing "Sat. Night Live" skits that I liked so much. But, your right. The Richard Simmons' one... laughed like crazy!

XOXO CJ

Charles Gramlich said...

The only one I really liked was the clydesdale who wanted to make the team and the dalmation that helped him train to Rocky music. mostly I don't watch the commercials or the halftime.

Anonymous said...

I had the Super Bowl playing in the background near the end, but only so I wouldn't miss the opening of the new House episode. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy to forget about it each year.

Stephen Parrish said...

I too think the commercials are the best part of the game.

I gave you an award on my blog.

Danette Haworth said...

CJ,
Yeah, that one was funny, too!

Charles,
You can never go wrong with the underdog theme.

Courtney,
That's my brother's favorite show!

Stephen,
That yellow rose? For you, my friend. I know how much you like looking at flowers.

Brenda said...

Hi Danette...

Catching up on my blog reading...

I am the same way. I watch the SB for the commercials only...Although I thought the commercials this year weren't as good as in the past..

I, too, love Richard Simmons and that commercial. Sometimes you gotta wonder why everyone picks on him...