HEAD, the 1968 Movie Featuring The Monkees, and Battle of the Bands

I recently watched Head, the 1968 movie featuring the Monkees. Man, talk about weird! The movie is comprised of vignettes strung together in an odd way that makes sense and leads to the ending. Jack Nicholson cowrote the screen play. This movie is not for everyone--there are clear drug references and the fragments give the movie a weird, dreamlike quality. For me, the movie was strange and literary. I'm still thinking about it.

If you like all things sixties/seventies, if vintage is you, if you use words like dig and groovy, this movie is for you. Head intrigued me enough to Google it. When the movie first came out in 1968, it failed, but it has a strong cult following, even now. Proof: Cameron Crowe used the Porpoise Song to close Vanilla Sky, the 2001 movie featuring Tom Cruise. The Porpoise Song also closes Head.

Check out the Porpoise Song in my new sidebar feature: Clip of the Week (scroll down a little). But before you go, please leave a comment and vote in Summer Friend's first ever Battle of the Bands: The Monkees VS Smash Mouth, performing "I'm a Believer."

The Monkees


Smash Mouth

14 comments:

Danette Haworth said...

I vote for the Monkees!

I like the way Mickey Dolenz (the drummer) hits the high notes during the ending, and I prefer watching the band. Smash Mouth's musical take on this oldie was excellent, but I didn't care for the video interpretation. I needed to see boy-gets-girl at the end.

Charles Gramlich said...

I actually watched this movie lately. Very surreal. Had I watched it when it came out I would have thought I was on drugs. I must admit to not caring for it.

Danette Haworth said...

I definitely wouldn't call it uplifting! I generally go for lighter fare; I like ending my days with a laugh. Why did I keep watching it? I don't know. I found it to have a somewhat disturbing effect.

Linda D. (sbk) said...

That's a tough one. I love the Monkees, but I couldn't help thinking that their version sounded kinda lame compared to the newer, edgier version that Smash Mouth did. So, I'm surprised to say, I vote for Smash Mouth.

Anonymous said...

Head looks incredibly trippy!

I vote for the Monkees too! But I think the Monkee vocals + Smash Mouth's musical interpretation would totally win.

Stella said...

I prefer the Monkees' version. Good ole Neal Diamond song. I remember it pretty well.

Mary Witzl said...

I agree with Linda: Smash Mouth's version is newer and edgier, and I like that.

As for the Monkees, what a blast from the past. They look so pitifully young! That hair! Those little dance moves! Still, I liked those high notes at the end too.

Boy, do I feel old: I can clearly remember this one when it came out.

Danette Haworth said...

Courtney,
That's the same word I had in mind. Isn't the Porpoise Song haunting?

Stella,
All right!

Mary,
I like Smash Mouth's edgier version, too, but there's something about those Monkees!

Anonymous said...

I vote for the Monkees too.

I had never seen the Smash Mouth video as they don't let me out of my cell much, and really liked it- found it humorous and actually had the feel of many of the videos from the 60's.

You can't mess with History though, and the Monkees will always be remembered as the group that made "I'm a Believer" famous.

Nice contrast though Danette!
Might I suggest Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell and Counting Crows next?

Plato

Danette Haworth said...

Plato,
The wisdom inherent to your name is reflected in your insightful vote. Thanks for your suggestion on my next battle of the bands!

Virginia Lee said...

Well, here I am late as usual. Ah well.

I choose The Who.

Sure, I love The Monkees. My very first real record was The Monkees! My grandmother of the silver shoes gave it to me. But for me, it will always be The Who.

And I love the Beatles too.

*sigh*

The only band that comes close since that time is U2.

And we all must have watched Head at the same time. I saw it on TCM not long ago at all. I just laughed and laughed and laughed . . .

LindaBudz said...

Wow, that was harder than I expected ... the Smash Mouth version is pretty darn good, and the video is funny. But I have to go with my sentimental favorite, the Monkees!

Danette Haworth said...

I'm calling it--The Monkees win!

Brenda said...

I am a big Monkees fan! So I have to say I love their version of the song. I use to watch their Saturday morning show and I have their albums...

I have to admit though I have never heard of this movie. I will have to check it out and see what I think of it...