Quick Post on Fame and seeing Margaret Peterson Haddix

Okay, yesterday I said my goal was to see Wendy Mass, Tim Green, and Margaret Peterson Haddix.

Missed Wendy by fifteen minutes; nix on Tim Green, BUT . . .

I did see MARGARET PETERSON HADDIX's hair.

Here's what happened:

All systems were going down.

"Mary!" I said to my Scholastic rep. "Where's that Starbucks?"

She shook her head. "It's a long way. Head down the hall. You'll feel like you're lost, but keep going and then you'll find it."

"Thank you," I said, scratching my arm and those little pricklies across my scalp.

I beat it down the hall, the whole while scanning everyone's tags for that special color that would mean they were an author, i.e. Wendy, Tim, or Margaret. No go.

I hoofed it down the hallway, around a turn, past the lobby. Must have been half a mile by now. I needed that cappuccino.

"Lady--please!" I grabbed a woman by her shirt collar. "Starbucks!"

Sympathy flooded her eyes. She pressed a dollar into my hand. "It's a long way from here. Keep going that way, then go up an escalator."

I strode through the hallway on my hard heels--yes, I know, that's supposed to be high heels, but since they weren't made for distance, they'd become hard heels. I walked through four seasons and a different time zone before coming upon the moving stairs that would take me to nirvana.

"Double shot cappuccino," I hollered at the barista, "and throw some ice cubes in it. I need it now!" I had her toss in a piece of banana bread because my trek had depleted my energy.

Do you know how long the walk back was? I drank my whole cappuccino and ate the bread before I could even see the exhibit hall.

But what about Margaret, you ask. Ah, yes. Halfway through my journey back, I noticed people exiting a darkened ballroom with the slide show still illuminated.

Aha! says I. Someone important is here.

Slipping through the door, I saw a line that took up the length of the ballroom. Like a thick rope, it coiled around the corner. Seeing the line people all facing one way, I deduced where the author was, but I could not tell who it was, for around the table, people clustered ten deep. And they were all taller than me.

"Who is it? Who is it?" I said, jumping up and down to see.

"Margaret Peterson Haddix!" someone answered.

Right then, at the apex of my jump, I swear I saw the top of her head, dark hair, maybe even an eyebrow.

I looked at that line, I thought about my booth, and then I resumed my journey.

Another day, Margaret.

Later, I'll post about those rowdy Scholastic Book Fair people, Joe's parking technique, and photos!

I had a great time!

4 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

I was with you, thinking you would see Margaret at Starbucks! Darn it. At least you got to see her hair. I'm sure it was pretty! Can't wait for the official review. I want the scoop on Mary, my favorite Scholastic rep.

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

Okay Danette, I totally met Wendy, spoke to her, took notes for her on the black board. She taught a hot to outline class at the NJ Conference two years ago. I, at that point, had no idea how well known she is. She was down to earth and seemed like just one of us - a writing trying to make it.

She is the outline guru btw.

Oh and hey, congrats on your FAME.

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

Not hot. how. A HOW TO outline class. Not a HOT outline class. That's something completly different. They don't teach those to children's book writers!

Kelly Polark said...

That sounds like an amazing event to be part of! Next time...hopefully you'll see her hair and face and her mouth will move when she is excited to meet you!