Casey's at the Emergency Vet's--Swallowed Ibuprofen

My husband dropped ibuprofen on the floor and missed one in picking them up. Casey, our dog is now at the emergency vet's.

IBUPROFEN AND DOGS (cut and pasted from valid animal health sites)
A typical tablet contains 200 milligrams, so only a fraction of that pill is safe for most dogs.

When your pet is in pain, it's common to want to administer a painkiller like Ibuprofen or aspirin. Dogs should not take human medications. Ask your vet about safe dog medicines. Despite the low cost, dogs rarely survive Ibuprofen overdose.

Never give a dog ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin), naproxen (Aleve), or acetaminophen (Tylenol). Even a child's dose can be fatal. These pain relievers can cause severe, even fatal, stomach ulcers and kidney damage in dogs.

Symptoms can take anywhere from 12 hours to several days to show. However, if you suspect your dog has ingested Ibuprofen take him to the vet immediately. Any tablets consumed must be flushed out of your dog's system as quickly as possible to improve his chances of a full recovery.

Symptoms of an Ibuprofen Overdose in Dogs

Unsafe dog drugs like Ibuprofen commonly cause renal failure. Symptoms include:

* Blood in the stool

* Dehydration

* Lack of appetite

* Stomach pain

* Vomiting

* Weakness

If symptoms appear, it is often too late to save the dog's life. Treatment for Ibuprofen poisoning in dogs must begin within two hours. Activated charcoal, stomach pumping and plenty of IV fluids are necessary.


Sandy Nawrot said...

OMG! Please give us updates...hope you got him to the vet in time. Dogs will eat anything. I've heard that chocolate will also have ill effects.

Just went through three weeks of nursing a guinea pig back to health, and close to a grand in vet bills. So I've been there.

Charles Gramlich said...

I did not know that about Ibuprofin. Not that I've ever given any to a pet.