Let the Games Begin

The family is here for Christmas--let the games begin.

Note: Not head games; real games, the kind you can win.

What better way to spend time together with family than by smearing them into the ground with your superior game-playing skills? Here are the games that will be played in the Haworth house: You Don't Know Jack, Yahtzee, and Scrabble.

You Don't Know Jack
is a computer trivia game that feels like a live action game show. I AM THE UNDISPUTED CHAMPION. People I've beaten include one of my brothers, my mom, my sister, my sister's friend, and my husband. My husband thinks I win because I'm faster than he is, but really it's cuz I'm smarter. I win every time I play. I AM THE CROWNED VICTOR and no one even comes close. At the start of the game, players must enter their names; everyone else enters their given name. I enter W-I-N-N-E-R. I figure that saves everyone a little time at the end.

Yahtzee--what can I say? We love this game. It was my dad's favorite. We love to rattle the dice and jar non-playing visitors with the noise.

Scrabble--You're talking serious stuff here, folks. Long before I was even thought of, my mom and dad stayed up many late nights with my grandma playing Scrabble. Grandma had only a sixth grade education, but she'd win with words like c-a-t. Somehow she always hit the specials.

I do not always win at Scrabble, but I like to make my opponents think I do. Again, I list my name as "Winner." Others are intimidated by the fact that I own a regular board and a travel board as well. (You do not want to get caught without your Scrabble board.) I employ the power of the Challenge, something your less hearty players will not do; they think they're in it just for the fun. My brothers and sister and I know better: we play to win, and we play cutthroat. We are equally as good and my trash talk doesn't work with them because we've all got the same mom.

In any case, the gang's all here (except for you, little bro). Let the games begin! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

9 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Lana always beats me at Scrabble. She takes it way serious. Personally, my favorite game is chess.

Virginia Lee said...

I admit, I am addicted still to my little electronic Yahtzee game after all these years. I'm on my second one and am about due for a third. (It didn't respond well to being dropped in a sinkful of suds, but it's still going!)

Merry Christmas, Miss Danette!

XOXO

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Danette!

You've got the winning attitude down. ;) I would be terrified to go up against you in any game!!

. I win every time I play. I AM THE CROWNED VICTOR and no one even comes close. At the start of the game, players must enter their names; everyone else enters their given name. I enter W-I-N-N-E-R. I figure that saves everyone a little time at the end.

^ I am still laughing about that. Brilliant!!

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

I love Scrabble. I am really good at it too! But I have to admit that everyonce in awhile I might somehow find a way to cheat... slightly. But when I cheat, I always admit I cheated and lose the points. I know it's bad. But I still win.

Mary Witzl said...

If you like Scrabble, go and get yourself the game called Quiddler. You can do just as much with Quiddler and all you have to use is a deck of cards -- no bulky board or letters or letter-holder thingies.

In this household, we are addicted to Absolute Balderdash, Articulate, and a few other word games. We have even begun to use Articulate and Balderdash to vet the verbal skills of our eldest's potential boyfriends. She acknowledges that a fellow who can come up with clever bogus definitions of arcane words is a pretty attractive guy who will probably possess other useful skills.

Danette Haworth said...

Charles,
You truly are a smart guy--I've been taught chess many times, but I keep forgetting the moves.

Virginia,
Ha! That's funny! I used to have an electronic hangman that was quite addicting.

Courtney,
Haha! Intimidation is part of my diabolical plan.

Ello,
Cheaterpants! The scorekeeper should always be screened.

Mary,
Using games to screen for potential inlaws, hmm . . . you might be onto something!

LindaBudz said...

Hey, Dannette, Hope you didn't forget to share that Ze Frank video with your family before you launched into Scrabble! And I hope you didn't puke up any letters!

Danette Haworth said...

Ha! Linda! You know how much I love that video. Yes, I pulled it up for my mom and she laughed and laughed--the board I played on as a kid belonged to her. She loves Scrabble!

Brenda said...

I hope your holidays were filled with lots of triple letter scores...grin...

My son gave me a Scrabble Deluxe board game for Christmas this year, so it has all ready been played and a few "in you face" comments made...I really need to contain myself...grin..

Games around here that we play are: Scrabble, Yahtzee, Parcheesi (I am the WINNER of this game and it is really hard to get anyone to play with me...I usually have to blackmail them to do it...grin) and Mexican Train Dominios (my Mother-in-law wins at this game a lot and she doesn't let you forget it)

I hope 2008 finds you Safe and Happy and that the New Year brings all your dreams to life...

Hugs...